Passengers at Sittingbourne station were recently greeted with their new station footbridge, which was lifted into place over the weekend.
Together with the installation of two new lifts, the new bridge forms part of a multi-million pound investment though the government’s Access for All scheme to provide step-free access between the entrance and platforms making it more accessible for everyone.
At the same time, a number of improvements are being made to station facilities. Funded through the national stations improvement programme, these include:
- Relocating and increasing the number of cycle parking spaces outside the station
- Renovating all passenger toilets
- Creating new waiting shelters on the platforms and a new waiting room on platform 2
- Repositioning the ticket gates to create more space for passengers in the ticket office
- Installing a new customer information screen and non-slip flooring in the ticket office
Work is due for completion in spring 2012.