Work has begun to replace the escalators in the main booking hall at Victoria Underground station which will be completed by end of 2011. Further details of what this work entails and how your journey may be affected, can be found on the TfL website.
Southern states that there has been a lot of inaccurate news coverage on how this work may affect your travel plans; Victoria rail and underground stations will remain open and working as normal during this period.
There are some changes you should be aware of that could affect travel via Victoria underground station, especially between 16:00 and 20:00, on weekdays:
• There will be no ticketing facilities available inside Victoria underground station
• You may be asked to wait outside Victoria underground station to prevent overcrowding
• Once inside Victoria underground station you should allow up to 15 minutes to reach the platform.
There are alternative underground stations, within 12 minutes’ walk of Victoria. These are St James’s Park (Circle & District Lines) and Pimlico (Victoria Line) which can also be reached by bus.
Travelling on the Victoria line
• Use local bus services and start your journey at Pimlico or Green Park Tube stations
• Bus routes 2, 24, 36, 185 and 436 run from Victoria to Pimlico
• Bus routes 38 and C2 run from Victoria to Green Park
• Pimlico is approximately a 12 minute walk from Victoria.
Travelling on the Circle or District lines
• Use local bus services and start your journey at St James’s Park Tube station
• Bus routes 11, 24, 148 and 211 run from Victoria to St James’s Park station
• St James’s Park station is approximately an 11 minute walk from Victoria.